From Strongyli to Kallisti: The History of Thera
Santorini: The history of an island that emerged from the sea
-Santorini (Thira) is the southernmost island of the Cyclades and one of the most recognizable geological phenomena in the world. Its capital, Fira, is located in the central-western part of the island, built on the edge of the Caldera, 260 meters above sea level.
-The history of Santorini begins thousands of years ago, with its volcanic activity determining its fate and shape.
-The island was originally round (hence the name Strongyli). It was also named Kallisti ("the most beautiful") by the Phoenicians.
-During the Bronze Age, the prehistoric settlement of Akrotiri flourished in the south of the island (around 3000-1600 BC). It was an advanced urban city, influenced by the Minoan civilization of Crete, with multi-story buildings, elaborate frescoes (exhibited at the Museum of Prehistoric Thera in Fira), and an organized sewage system.
-The Minoan Eruption, which occurred around 1600 BC, is one of the most powerful volcanic eruptions in recorded history. The explosion blew up the central part of Strongyli, submerging a large part of the land and creating the present-day Caldera (the large sea basin) and the island complex (Thira, Thirasia, Aspronisi, Palea and Nea Kameni). Many scholars even link this particular catastrophe to the myth of Plato's lost Atlantis.
-Around the 9th century BC, the island was resettled by Dorian colonists from Sparta, led by Theras, who gave the current official name to the island and the city. Theras founded the city of Ancient Thera on the summit of Mesa Vouno, a strategic location. This city flourished during the Hellenistic period, when it became a naval base for the Ptolemies of Egypt, and continued to be important during the Roman and Byzantine eras.
-After the Fourth Crusade (1204 AD), the island came under the rule of the Venetians, who named it Santorini (from the church of Santa Irini in Perissa). For protection against pirate raids, fortified settlements (Kastelia) were built, with the Kasteli of Skaros (in present-day Imerovigli) as the capital, which was the administrative center.
-By the mid-18th century, the Kasteli of Skaros was gradually abandoned due to frequent earthquakes and the cessation of pirate raids. The inhabitants began to move towards the present-day location of Fira, which until then was primarily an agricultural area with vineyards and kanaves (traditional wineries and cave cellars).
-Fira, which took its name from the alternative pronunciation of Thira, was chosen because of its geologically safer location and better access to the port (Ormos). It quickly became the island's commercial and administrative center, attracting wealthy families who built mansions. The Catholic quarter, where the descendants of the Franks settled, was created in the north of the city.
-On July 9, 1956, a major earthquake (known as the Amorgos earthquake) caused extensive destruction in Santorini, with Fira and Oia suffering the greatest damage (destruction of 85% of the infrastructure).